Re: [linux-lvm] LVM2 tools lvmcmdline.c major and minor number limits

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:02:00AM +0000, Darren Lavender wrote:
> I was wondering whether there was any particular reason why the
> limitations below are still present given that these were changed
> between 2.4 and 2.6 linux kernels?

Yes, it's probably time we changed that - nobody's noticed it before.
We just have to check the code copes OK if someone sets it to a large number
then reboots with a kernel that doesn't support it.

Setting the major number at device creation time is *still* not supported in
2.6.  (2.4 does support it.)

Alasdair
--
agk redhat com