[linux-lvm] Question: How much space is needed do make sure that a LVM snapshot won't overflow

Rob West robertfwest at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:04:58 UTC 2008

To guarantee that the snapshot will not overflow, you have to make it
big enough to contain all of the origin plus the maximum COW table
overhead.

The maximum overhead is the chunk size * (max_number_exceptions_chunks
+ 1).  The "+ 1" is for the header chunk. The maximum number of
exception chunks is the number of origin chunks divided by the number
of exceptions per exception chunk, plus one to account for a possible
allocated but unused exception chunk. The number of exceptions per
exception chunk is the chunk size divided by the size of an exception
structure, which is 16 bytes.

Here is some code that may help:

        /* Do some calculations. The - 1 and + 1 stuff is to handle any
         * remainders. The extra + 1 for num_exception_chunks is for the
         * allocated, but unused, exception chunk.
         */
        u_int64_t num_chunks_in_origin =
            ((lv_info.size - 1) / OUR_CHUNK_SIZE_INT) + 1;
        u_int64_t num_exceptions_per_chunk =
            ((OUR_CHUNK_SIZE_INT - 1) / sizeof(dm_disk_exception_t)) + 1;
        u_int64_t num_exception_chunks =
            ((num_chunks_in_origin - 1) / num_exceptions_per_chunk) + 1 + 1;

        /* The maximum size of the COW device overhead is the chunk size times
         * (the number of exception chunks plus 1 for the header chunk).
         */
        u_int64_t sizeof_max_overhead =
            (num_exception_chunks + 1) * OUR_CHUNK_SIZE_INT;

Hope this helps,
Rob