[linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

Greetings all-

I have a problem I'm trying to solve, was hoping someone would know how to get around it...

I have a 2TB volume group, and one 500GB volume in it. There is a Xen VM in that volume group. What I'd like to do is 'copy' the volume and name it something else so I can use it as a 'template' for other VMs.

I know that LVM has the 'snapshot' capability. But this doesn't look like it's what I need, as I don't want my duplicate volume to have any affiliation with the original at all. I actually want to duplicate VM to take up just as much space as the first and be completely independent of any changes on the first. Is there a way of achieving this? Could I maybe simply make sure the volume is unmounted and not in use, then copy the /dev/mapper/myvolume file to something else? I bet it's more involved than that... :)

Thanks in advance for any info!!

-erich