Re: [linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

David Robinson wrote:
I find 'dd' is the simplest way of doing this. Unmount the volume, create a new logical volume of equal or greater size, then 'dd' from one to the other:

lvcreate -L 500G -n clone volgroup00
dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup/clone

Hmmm... I think it didn't work as expected. I brought down the VM and made sure that no LVM volumes were mounted, then:

# lvcreate -L 500G -n clone volgroup00
# dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup00/clone

The machine then had a kernel panic (I think). I'm remote so I'm not sure, but I'll be going in soon to check on it. Not a critical system so no big deal. I'll let everyone one what I see at the console.

-erich