[linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 4 16:15:26 UTC 2008

David Robinson wrote:
> I find 'dd' is the simplest way of doing this. Unmount the volume,
> create a new logical volume of equal or greater size, then 'dd' from one
> to the other:
>
> lvcreate -L 500G -n clone volgroup00
> dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup/clone

Hmmm...  I think it didn't work as expected.  I brought down the VM and
made sure that no LVM volumes were mounted, then:

# lvcreate -L 500G -n clone volgroup00
# dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup00/clone

The machine then had a kernel panic (I think).  I'm remote so I'm not
sure, but I'll be going in soon to check on it.  Not a critical system
so no big deal.  I'll let everyone one what I see at the console.

-erich