[LINUX-LVM] shrinking a volume inside an LVM

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Jan 5 06:35:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:50:00PM -0600, Kemp, Levi wrote:
> Most of this makes sense. Especially the part about using a live CD. But if you don't mind I'm gonna pick your brain on the other parts because I like to understand a command before I use it, so I can blame myself when I mess up ;-)
> Actually the only part I'm unsure about is 9-11. resize2fs will resize my ext2/3 file system which will clear up more room in my lvm to create another lv correct? Or do you have to shrink the file system then the lv to have the space back? I'm going to back up anything that I need to be safe, but I'd like to avoid a total reinstall right now(that's for May). Thanks again. I think you've got me on track. One more quick one, on 9 you said "amount occupied + some" wouldn't it be minus some?

Stuart answered at least as well as I could, but for the last, "occupied
+ some" is what I meant.  By "occupied" I am talking about the amount of
data that actually exists in your "/" volume.  Then, since you need a
little room to grow, add some to that value, so that you have a bit of
free space in that volume. ( As well as Stuart's explanation, to leave
room for errors. )

Brian