[linux-lvm] Distributed LVM/filesystem/storage

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Jun 1 15:56:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 08:50:26 -0500, Wendy Cheng <s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> > So I'd configure each machine's empty disk/partition as an iSCSI
> > target and let them show up an every "client" machine and run that
> > setup. How good will GFS deal with temporary (or total) outage of
> > single targets? Eg. 24h disconnects with ADSL connectivity etc.?
>
> High availability will not work well in this particular setup - it is
> more about data and storage sharing between GFS nodes.
>
> Note that GFS normally runs on top of CLVM (clustered lvm, in case you
> don't know about it). You might want to check current (Linux) CLVM raid
> level support to see whether it fits your needs.

As I expect nodes to come and leave the filesystem and that these
nodes all provide different amounts of disk capacity, reshaping the
RAID stuff several times a week (or even per day) won't be that much
fun at all...

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Friends are relatives you make for yourself.