Re: [linux-lvm] Server hangs when writing to LVM volume due to LVM Snapshots

Dan Kegel schrieb:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo wpkg org> wrote:
LVM-2 doesn't scale very well.

If you have I/O intensive workloads, I'd discourage using (multiple)
snapshots.

A single write to the origin mean additional writes to each and every
snapshot of that origin.

Right.  This is one of the things zumastor.org snapshots do better;
all snapshots for a volume share a common snapshot store,
so performance doesn't fall as you add more snapshots.
You might want to have a look at it... join the zumastor
mailing list or drop in on our irc if you have questions.

Speaking of Zumastor - is it equivalent (or just a part of something bigger) of still discussed, future LVM-3?

There was supposed to be a presentation titled "LVM3 Advanced Volume Manager for Linux" by Daniel Phillips on LinuxTag 2008 in May[1] - do you know if it's available anywhere (yet)?

Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

wpkg.org looks very cool.  I haven't used it much yet,
but I hope to use it as a kind of automated real world test of
wine sometime.

Thanks.
For application installation it should work just fine (as it is what it does), but for some more thorough GUI testing...? Anyway, we're getting off-topic here ;)

[1] http://www.linuxtag.org/2008/de/conf/events/vp-mittwoch/vortragsdetails.html?talkid=51

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org