[linux-lvm] Trouble pvmoving lv's out of a metadatacopies=0 pv

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Thu Mar 13 13:28:06 UTC 2008

Hi.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 05:34:54PM +0300, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> If I try to pvmove lv's out of a pv I created using the metadatacopies 0
> option, pvmove concludes that the source physical volume is not in a
> volume group and refuses to commence with the move.

Is there really no way around this bug? It's a bit annoying to have 28
physical volumes more than I actually need... This being a production
system, I haven't (at least yet) wanted to take the system off line for
as long as it'd take to sync the contents of the lv into another lv.
(After which I could run my app on the new lvs and remove the old lvs
and the old pvs.)

(See bug #252150 in bugzilla.redhat.com. I submitted the bug report last
August, but this doesn't appear to be a trivial bug to squash - so I'm
asking here for ways to work around it.)

Thanks for any ideas.

--Janne Peltonen
Univ. of Helsinki
--