[linux-lvm] vgimport without vgexport (hardware crash)

We have a database server accessing a disk array. (Array supports only a single host connection)

Should that server suffer a hardware failure, we’d like to connect up a standby server to take its place.

So in the event of a bad hardware failure, I won’t be able to unmount the filesystems, vgchange –an, and vgexport the volume groups.

Can I expect a vgscan and vgimport to work on the new server if I wasn’t  able to run vgexport?  Any other data I would need to make this work?

I know in HP-UX you were able to run a vgexport in output mode only, and give it a map file and you could then import using this map file in this scenario.

Thanks,

Taylor