[linux-lvm] Characters allowed for vg name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 13:38:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:19:19PM -0000, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> I have a kickstart file which fails if I use an - character in the
> vgname. Using a _ works fine.

Report a bug?

Hyphens are permitted *inside* VG and LV names, but not as the first
character.  There are also some reserved names you cannot use
because of existing /dev entries.  (E.g. a VG name of 'null' would clash
with '/dev/null' and '.' and '..' are also banned of course).

> Does anybody know what the allowable characters are for vg, pv and lv
> names?

VG/LV:
  a-zA-Z0-9+_.-

(PV names are simply filenames)