Re: [linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Mikulas Patocka wrote:
... If you mount the origin device with missing snapshot, you destroy the snapshot (even if you don't touch it). The snapshot can no longer be repaired.

So it is safer to not activate device in this case then destroy data.
Why? What value is the old snapshot at this point? You just had a system reboot in the middle of a snapshotted backup so all you need to do is get the system up, redo another snapshot and retake your backup. I'm not interested in the old snapshot.

Imagine, for example, you have origin and snapshot, you reconfigure disks in some weird way that the snapshot disk is inaccessible, you boot, and the system automatically starts without the snapshot. And you lose any data that you stored on that snapshot.
What is on the old snapshot at this point is probably indeterminate anyway.
You can with dmsetup (but it has deadlocks). Maybe someone could write non-deadlocky snapshot-managing tool that wouldn't depend on lvm vgs, pvs and lvs.

Mikulas
Have not used dmsetup. If it has deadlocks, I don't think I want to use it.

Gerry