Re: [linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

Am I missing something here? vgchange --partial seems like it will do
what you want (man 8 lvm):

It does part of what I want.  It would at least allow a system to boot
from a partial VG containing the root fs.  It does not allow any
metadata changes while VG is partial - not even reducing missing PV.
Well, what good is this if you cannot fix anything? You are stuck in 'broken' mode.

Regards,
Gerry

If a PV is temporarily missing, and you using the pvcreate -u option,
then the original PV comes back as well, you have fireworks.
Also, it doesn't ensure partially missing LVs are readonly (including
where a snapshot is on a missing PV).

In any case, the --partial might be good for initrd.  Although a newbie
admin would be terribly confused by the "no metadatachanges" restriction.