Re: [linux-lvm] device /dev/sdb1 not found or ignored by filtering

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Gilles Guiot wrote:

> Hello and thanks for the answer.
> For "political" (indeed) reasons, we can't use the raid 5......

I actually prefer raid1, even though it uses more disks and has slower writes.

1) It is easy to use the mirrors apart from raid for recovery.  For instance, a
   clients motherboard died.  I had him ship me 2 of his 4 disks, from which I
   constructed a clone of his system on new hardware, and shipped it to him.
   He kept the other two as backup.

2) You do get some speedup for reads.

3) Disk space is cheap.

4) You can always use raid0+1 to speed up writes.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>