[linux-lvm] recovering data from hdd

I have a machine that suffered a lightning hit and it's toast. Even with surge protectors it still got zapped. Anyway, I'm not going to rebuild this machine. What I want to do is to get some information off the hard drive. If I remember it only had one VG VolGroup00. So can I attach this to another machine and read it? Won't the VolGroup00 conflict with the hosts VolGroup00? How can I change it to be some other name?

Regards,
Gerry