[linux-lvm] Removing PVs from Volume Groups which have allocated LVs

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Wed May 28 14:10:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I ran onto a similar problem when trying to create a LV where the ramdisk PV
came FIRST. It wouldn't do it even though I ordered it first in the list. So
what I had to do was create a VG out of the first PV alone, and the LV on
it, and then keep adding PV to VG and extend the LV. That resulted in a
determinate ordering.

If the composite VG already exists, the only technique I know is to search
or even write characteristic data patterns in the LV and also in all the
PVs, thus determining offsets :-(

Larry Dickson
Cutting Edge Networked Storage