[linux-lvm] Distributed LVM/filesystem/storage

Hi!

I'm just thinking about using my friend's overly empty harddisks for a
common large filesystem by merging them all together into a single,
large storage pool accessible by everybody.

However I still fail to find a good approach. One initial idea was to
export all physical volumes (partitions or full disks) vie NBD, join
them all on a single machine into one VG/LV, create a filesystem and
re-export that via NFS/SMB/...  However, all data would need to go
through the net twice. While speed isn't the most important thing here
(but storage is!), that's way suboptimal.

I also thought about something like tahoe (www.allmydata.org), or
other P2P based approaches like Freenet, but I'm not sure if that's a
good start.

It would be nice to see if anybody of you did the same before (merging
the free space from a lot computers into one commonly used large
filesystem), if it was successful and what techniques
(LVM/NBD/DM/MD/iSCSI/Tahoe/Freenet/Other P2P/...) you used to get there,
and how well that worked out in the end.

Thanks, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw lug-owl de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:               http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html