[linux-lvm] Re: write performance with active snapshot

Hi,

Larry Dickson wrote:
My guess is that you are getting the typical seek overhead. Have you tried making a volume group out of two separate RAID arrays (driving different spindles), and using lvdisplay --maps to make sure the parent volume is on one array, the snapshot(s) on the other?

That was my suspicion, too (although I could not imagine such an extreme
impact). Just for testing I added a single disk to the same volume group
and put the snapshot onto that disk - amazingly it made hardly any
difference (Actually, I'm almost glad about that, because the combination
of a 12-disk-array with a single disk would be under almost all other
aspects foolish).

One thing that does improve the performance a little (actually by 100%,
which in this case meens still pretty lousy 16 MB/sec) is to increase
the chunk size to 512kb. (I don't know yet, how this might affect
performance when dealing with many small files) ...

Regards,
                    Peter