[linux-lvm] Editing LVM 2 metadata

I have a need to edit the metadata on an LVM2 PV.  It is a storage managed snapshot of a LVM VG.

It appears I can alter the metadata contents that are in the first 128KB of the device (/dev/sda) using dd and vi.

However, after I edited the LABELONE area where the binary copy of the PV UUID is stored (200x offset area) and the ASCII version at 12b0x and 16b0x and reboot - vgscan no longer recognizes the VG.

Question - are all the UUID's - VG, LV, PV generated as a self-check hash to ensure they haven't been bit-picked or otherwise compromised by the storage??

I have downloaded the source, but am not sure yet where to find the code that generates the UUID strings.

Thanks,
Mike