[linux-lvm] Let's try again with the lvm mirror failure.

Gary Desrochers garybrenda at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 03:20:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Jaroslav Stava <jstava at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gary Desrochers wrote:
>
>> I will try one more time. Can someone please tell me if it is possible to
>> recover a mirrored drive?  If not then why are so many people using mirrors
>> out there?
>>
> Some info:
> man vgreduce (see --removemissing)
> man lvm (see --partial activation)

I did try that after reading about it.  It removed both the one that was
missing and the one that was not missing before.  The partition is still
there and I can get it to be seen but now I have to somehow get back the
logical volume as well.  It no longer show up.  Well, it got reduced I
guess?

> Btw. it's a good idea to state your lvm version.

Sorry if I did not in my previous post.   Most of the lvm tools say:
  LVM version:     2.02.28 (2007-08-24)
  Library version: 1.02.22 (2007-08-21)
  Driver version:  4.12.0

>  > So how do you fix up from a crashed primary mirror?
>>
> To make the VG consistent again you use "vgreduce --removemissing VG".
> That will remove any LVs that were (even partially) on any missing PV.
> When mirror legs are lost this way then mirror get downconverted.
> You may want to use it with --test first, to see what you would loose.

I had used --test and it looked like the only loss was that LV.

> (And you may try --mirrorsonly, it should fail when anything except mirror
> legs would be lost. Without guarantee, depends on version.)

Oh, so what you explained above that must be why the LV is gone now?  So how
do I go from the LV that is now gone to an LV with only that one partition?
 I cannot even see the volume group anymore since that seems to be now,
"reduced"? :-)

>> As a second question, I know the extents and such.  Is there a way to copy
>> off the data into a non-lvm partition?  At this point I will even take that.
>>  I just want to get to the data.
>>
> Partial activation: "vgchange -ay -P". Doesn't make much sense
> if you only lost a mirror leg.
>

> Btw. when you need realtime response to your problem,
> there is an irc channel #lvm on freenode (ask question and wait).

No thank you, at the moment I don't need real time response.  Any response
is a help.  I had posted twice before this from last Saturday and this is my
only response.  I was not even sure I was getting through to the group since
I did not get any of the messages I posted previously.

> Regards,
> Jaroslav Stava

I do appreciate your response.  Any help you can give me I am grateful for.
Gary