From: Jayson Vantuyl <kagato souja net>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] building debug versions of lvm cli utilities
To: beachhangar yahoo com, "LVM general discussion and development" <linux-lvm redhat com>
Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 6:55 AM

The utilities run in userspace.  They communicate with devicemapper, which does all of the kernelspace heavy-lifting.

I've generally found that I can track down a lot of issues with strace as well, if you're just looking to see what they do to the system (i.e. if you're not adding functionality or hunting a really deep bug).