[linux-lvm] lvm over loop device

Steve Brueggeman xioborg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 19:32:23 UTC 2008

I didn't see any replies to this, so I thought I'd post what I've found.

You have to specify a smaller extent size when creating the volume group.  The
default extent size is 4MB, which is larger than your physical device on
/dev/loop1 (use the -s option)

For example, try this instead, which would give 4 extents on the 1MB physical
device on /dev/loop1 (I think.  I am not certain about how much metadata exists
on the physical device for LVM2)

>vgcreate SmallDiskGroup -s256k /dev/loop0 # create a new volumegroup using the
>loop0 device as phisical volume.

Steve.