[linux-lvm] Will LVM2 ever be able to do striped mirrors "raid 10"?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 08:02:48 UTC 2009

Sandeep K Sinha wrote:

> No, it's a RAID 0+1 (RAID01/mirror of stripes).

> This is RAID1+0 (RAID10/stripe of mirrors) - it's usually preferable to
> 0+1 not only because of the improved redundancy but also the individual
>
>> I disagree.
>
>> Look at this:
>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multXY-c.html

What do you disagree with?

The article you linked to points out the same robustness and recovery
concerns with a 0+1 layout as I mentioned earlier. It then goes on to
say that this could be mitigated for 0+1 by a smart RAID implementation
that continues to stripe to partially-failed RAID 0 sets but that most
actual RAID controllers don't chose to implement this.

The article seems to make the same claims as I did.

Regards,
Bryn.