[linux-lvm] Wierd lvm2 performance problems

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Apr 20 13:15:12 UTC 2009

Hi Luca,

Okay, let's assume a chunk size of C. No matter what your md looks like,
the logical md volume consists of a series of size/C chunks. the very
first chunk C0 will hold the LVM header.
If I align the extends with the chunksize and the extends even have the
chunksize, then every extens PEx of my PV equals exactly a chunk on any of
the disks.
Which in turn means, if I want to read PEx I have to read some chunk Cy on
one disk, and PEx+1 would most certainly be a Chunk Cy+1 which would
reside on a different physical disk.

So the question is: Why would you want to align the first PE to the
stripesize, rather then the chunksize?

Regards

-Sven