[linux-lvm] re-activate lv after reboot ?

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Tue Apr 21 16:15:38 UTC 2009

On 04/21/2009 10:04 AM, vu pham wrote:
> Eric Brunson wrote:
>> On 04/21/2009 09:47 AM, vu pham wrote:
>>> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV
>>> are created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
>>> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have
>>> to run vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to
>>> put that command /etc/rcd./rc.local.
>>
>> In RH and Fedora you need to updated your initrd image to have the
>> drivers for the disk access available before the real filesystems are
>> mounted.  You don't mention what distro you're using, so I'll avoid
>> boring you with details that may not be pertinent to your situation.
>>

> Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I am using RHEL5.3

In Fedora (and I assume RH) you can specify additional kernel modules to
include in the initrd image:

foxtrot(~)$ cat /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd
MODULES="usb-storage"

This will also "stick" across kernel upgrades as mkinitrd is part of the
kernel post-install process.

I don't know anything about iscsiadm, if it's simply a kernel module,
then you can add it as I added usb-storage, if it's a process that has
to be running, that may be more difficult to add to your boot process.

That's the extent of my expertise, so maybe someone familiar with
iscsiadm may chime in.

Hope that helps,
e.