[linux-lvm] lvcreate does not respect units?

Thomas Voegtle tv at lio96.de
Mon Dec 14 13:45:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I ran in a problem while creating a lv with units in powers of 1000.

I looked up the free space with vgdisplay:

root@(none):~# vgdisplay --units G | grep Size
vgdisplay  VG Size               25.70 GB
vgdisplay  PE Size               0.00 GB
vgdisplay  Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0 GB
vgdisplay  Free  PE / Size       6127 / 25.70 GB

And then I tried to create the lv a little bit smaller, like this:

root@(none):~# lvcreate -L 25.50G datavolume -n datavolume
lvcreate  Insufficient free extents (6127) in volume group datavolume:
6528 required

You even get the same message using a small g:

root@(none):~# lvcreate -L 25.50g datavolume -n datavolume
lvcreate  Insufficient free extents (6127) in volume group datavolume:
6528 required

So it seems lvcreate does not respect the unit in power of 1000?

I used 2.02.56.