[linux-lvm] Dead device and cleaning up LVM

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 18:53:31 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:58:04AM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>>> You don't mention the name of your VG/LV but you should be able to
>>> remove the active lvm devices with "dmsetup remove", e.g.:
>>>
>>> dmsetup remove $VG-$LV
>>>
>>> For each LV in each VG that was using the iSCSI devices.
>> Beautiful.  This did the trick!  I can now also unload the iSCSI kernel
>> modules correctly on the initiator.
>>

> Also, just an FYI in case anyone else runs across this thread... to get
> my filesystem back (pvscan didn't detect the LVM at all):
>
>   # pvcreate --uuid 3HpAVg-fRz0-HWXp-EFxK-khVO-IvN6-J4a6w1 /dev/sdb

If you also specify "--restorefile=" and the path to the current
metadata backup in /etc/lvm, pvcreate will ensure that the new PV can
accommodate the VG you want to restore to it. It'll almost certainly
always work without this if you always use the default options but by
specifying --restorefile you can be completely sure.

>   (Found the old UUID by examining the /etc/lvm/backup directory)
>   # vgcfgrestore FTP1
>   # vgchange -ay FTP1
>   # fsck.ext3 /dev/FTP1/LogVol00
>   # mount -a