[linux-lvm] File system size difference betwen lvdisplay & df -h

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 11:16:24 UTC 2009

Dayanand Math wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following df -h & lvdisplay shows the discrpancy..What could be
> the reson? I am referring to the discrepancy between LV Size in
> lvdisplay &  total size df -h output of the corresponding file
> system.

That just appears to be normal file system overheads. All file systems
use some of the total space available on a device for storing internal
structures and data (the file system's metadata). You'll see this with
any block device type, e.g. with a 64M USB key:

# df -h /mnt
/dev/sdc1              61M  5.3M   53M  10% /mnt

Regards,
Bryn.