[linux-lvm] vgchange doesn't enable found VGs

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Feb 27 16:38:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 16:29 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> It's difficult to say from the output above. Try running the tools
> with "-vvv" and looking at the detailed output. They'll produce a lot
> of output when run this way

Not so much in fact.

> Why do you need the --ignorelockingfailure?

Because this is being done during system boot.

Here's "vgchange -v -v -v -a n" output:

        Processing: vgchange -v -v -v -a n
        O_DIRECT will be used
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      File-based locking selected.
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
    Finding all volume groups
        /dev/ramdisk: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ramdisk RO
        /dev/ramdisk: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ramdisk: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ramdisk
        /dev/ram: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram RO
        /dev/ram: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram
        /dev/ram2: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram2 RO
        /dev/ram2: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram2: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram2
        /dev/ram14: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram14 RO
        /dev/ram14: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram14: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram14
        /dev/ram15: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram15 RO
        /dev/ram15: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram15: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram15
  No volume groups found

The eclipses represents ram3, ram4, ram5, to ram 13.

When I specify the volume group, I see this:

         Processing: vgchange -v -v -v -a n lustre
        O_DIRECT will be used
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      File-based locking selected.
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
    Using volume group(s) on command line
      Locking /var/lock/lvm/V_lustre RB
    Finding volume group "lustre"
        /dev/ramdisk: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ramdisk RO
        /dev/ramdisk: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ramdisk: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ramdisk
        /dev/ram: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram RO
        /dev/ram: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram
        /dev/ram2: Not using O_DIRECT
        Opened /dev/ram2 RO
        /dev/ram2: block size is 4096 bytes
      /dev/ram2: No label detected
        Closed /dev/ram2
    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
        /dev/console: Not a block device
        /dev/core: Not a block device
        /dev/evtchn: Not a block device
        /dev/fd: Symbolic link to directory

and it considers a whole boatload more devices, including /dev/sda,
where my volume groups is.  Now the one thing that just occurred to me
as relevant is that my root filesystem (/) is read-only.

b.