[linux-lvm] LVM mapper and device names

Markus Baertschi markus at markus.org
Sat Jan 3 16:55:37 UTC 2009

I'm confused on how to navigate forth and back between
the /dev entries of lv's and what dm makes of it.

If I craeate a lv 'work' in my vg 'datavg' I'll get a /dev
entry /dev/datavg/work to work with (mount/mkfs, etc).
But after mounting a 'mount' shows the same lv as
/dev/mapper/datavg-work.

Example:
root at altair:~# lvdisplay /dev/datavg/work