[linux-lvm] recovery help needed

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 04:47:06 UTC 2009

(This is all on Fedora 10.) I recently added a new pair of DM-mirrored drives to lvm. I wanted to retire the old drives, and so I moved the extents containing /home from the old /dev/md0 to the new /dev/md1. All went fine. Then, I blew away /home on the new /dev/md1. Oops.

I ran /usr/bin/testdisk, and it can see my data on the old /dev/md0. Of course, /dev/md0 is no longer recognized by LVM as having an lv since I moved those extents. Is there some way that I can tell LVM to magically recognize the lv on /dev/md0 again?

Thanks in advance.