From: Peter Daum <gator_ml yahoo de>
To: linux-lvm redhat com
Sent: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 8:04 am
Subject: [linux-lvm] Re: write performance with active snapshot

Larry Dickson wrote:

My guess is that you are getting the typical seek overhead. Have you
tried making a volume group out of two separate RAID arrays (driving
different spindles), and using lvdisplay --maps to make sure the
volume is on one array, the snapshot(s) on the other?

That was my suspicion, too (although I could not imagine such an extreme

impact). Just for testing I added a single disk to the same volume group

and put the snapshot onto that disk - amazingly it made hardly any

difference (Actually, I'm almost glad about that, because the combination

of a 12-disk-array with a single disk would be under almost all other

aspects foolish).

One thing that does improve the performance a little (actually by 100%,

which in this case meens still pretty lousy 16 MB/sec) is to increase

the chunk size to 512kb. (I don't know yet, how this might

performance when dealing with many small files) ...

On 11/9/08, *Peter Daum* <gator_ml yahoo de
<mailto:gator_ml yahoo de>>

for an application I am just working on it looks like lvm

be just what I need as far as functionality is concerned.

I am experiencing such a massive degradation in performance, that

    result is almost useless.

I'm working on a fairly fast machine (Quadcore, 8GB RAM) with a

    hardware RAID array and lvm2 (Debian Lenny; Linux 2.6.26-1-amd64;

    LVM version:2.02.39 (2008-06-27)

    Library version: 1.02.27 (2008-06-25)

    Driver version:  4.13.0)

Sequentially writing to a file (ext3) on a logical volume, I get
    sustained performance of ~ 250 MB/sec. When I create a snapshot

volume, the write throughput drops to 7-8 MB/secs (on the

    volume; writing to the snapshot I see a significant degradation,

but not nearly, as bad; read performance is o.k.).Is this

    or is there a
nything I can do to about it?

    I looked in this list and searched the WWW but couldn't find any

    concrete information on the performance impact of snapshots

    (except http://www.nikhef.nl/~dennisvd/lvmcrap.html).

    It seems like write performance should probably be less then 1/3

    of the original throughput, because every write to the source

    volume causes 3 I/O operations plus some overhead for meta data.

    More difficult to estimate would be the time lost by additional

    head movements. Still, a throughput degradation by a factor of 30

    seems pretty extreme.

    Any ideas?

                            Peter Daum

linux-lvm mailing list