[linux-lvm] Can't mount or run fdisk on an existing logical volume, help!

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Tue Jul 21 21:59:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 02:24:26PM -0700, Adam Olsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Ray Van Dolson<rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:
> > Very strange... a few more commands:
> >
> > vgs -P -o +devices
> > lvs -P -a -o +devices
>
> imgserv:/storage/# vgs -P -o +devices
>   Partial mode. Incomplete volume groups will be activated read-only.
>   VG      #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree Devices
>   storage   3   1   0 wz--n- 3.62T 4.98G /dev/sda3(0)
>   storage   3   1   0 wz--n- 3.62T 4.98G /dev/sdb1(0)
>   storage   3   1   0 wz--n- 3.62T 4.98G /dev/sdc1(0)
> imgserv:/storage/# lvs -P -a -o +devices
>   Partial mode. Incomplete volume groups will be activated read-only.
>   LV      VG      Attr   LSize Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
> Devices
>   storage storage -wi-i- 3.62T
> /dev/sda3(0)
>   storage storage -wi-i- 3.62T
> /dev/sdb1(0)
>   storage storage -wi-i- 3.62T
> /dev/sdc1(0)
>
> > If you want, post the lvmdump tarball somewhere...
>
> http://www.exaile.org/lvmdump.tar.gz

Maybe someone else could take a look as well.  Some of the LVM metadata
files in the archive directory appear to be missing logical_volumes {}
sections.

I wonder if this could be fixed with a simple

  vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvm/backup/storage storage
  vgscan
  vgchange -ay storage

Also it looks like some of the older archived versions would be valid
as well.

  vgcfgrestore -l storage

Should give a list...

> > When did this start happening?