[linux-lvm] lvm on a single big partition or just a single big partition?

Hello lvm list,

Though I have used lvm for some time, I have one question that I don't
understand.

For one harddrive I often create a /boot parition that is not lvm and
create a huge partition on the rest of the harddrive for PV of lvm. Now
I am thinking what is the difference between doing partition like this
and just a single big partition without lvm?

Thanks in advance,

--
Zhengquan