[linux-lvm] pvcreate and partition alignment

Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:52:32 UTC 2009

Greetings,

NetApp requires for best performance that all partitions be aligned to 4k
boundaries to prevent "partial writes" and lost IOPS.  We are using LVM on
un-partitioned devices.  The only response I can get out of NetApp is that,
by not having a partition, the partition itself is not mis-aligned.

We are using a blocksize of 4096b for ext3.

Is there another "allocation" setting that we need to select for LVM
specifically, to ensure alignment to this 4k NetApp boundary?

Thanks,
Eugene