Re: [linux-lvm] fsync() and LVM

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

I suspect that LVM simply fails to pass the *write barrier* through
to underlying layers (i.e. ignores the writebarrier call).  Thus, you should be
fine if you simply turn off writeback caching in your disk drives.  If you
could guarrantee that disk drives would be powered long enough after the main
system stops - even a drive write back cache would not be much of a risk.

The big question in my mind is which software layers don't get to see the write barrier. If any of them can reorder writes, that could (however unlikely) lead to data corruption.