[linux-lvm] lvm ownership of special access node

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Sun May 3 08:50:05 UTC 2009

Lars Ellenberg a écrit :
> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 02:00:20PM -0300, sebastian muniz wrote:
>> Hello list.
>> First post. Sorry  if this has already been discussed. I have search a
>> while with no luck.
>> I need to mount a home directory for a user from a lvolume.
>> For instance, I created
>>  ACTIVE            '/dev/vg1/sebahome' [5.00 GB] inherit
>>
>> and need it mounted on /home/seba
>> However, when I mount it on /home/seba permissions get root:root
>>
>> orion:~# ls -ld /home/seba
>> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2009-05-02 02:34 /home/seba
>>
>> I think that
>>
>> seba at orion:~$ ls -la /dev/vg1/sebahome
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2009-05-02 04:25 /dev/vg1/sebahome ->
>> /dev/mapper/vg1-sebahome
>> seba at orion:~$ ls -la /dev/mapper/vg1-sebahome
>> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 3 2009-05-02 04:25 /dev/mapper/vg1-sebahome
>>
>> is the reason.
>> Is there any way to create the special access node with other owner:group
>> like the
>> vxassist --user --group in veritas?
>> Or is there any mount option I am now aware of?
>
> mount /dev/vg1/sebahome /home/seba
> chown owner:group /home/seba
>
> should do the trick ;-)
>
> once a file system gets mounted,
> the ownership of its "/" overrides the ownership of the mount point.
>
> 	Lars

Hi !
It is good practice to give root only access to the mount point BEFORe
it is mounted and user's full ownership of the mounted filesystem.
This way, if the file system is not mounted for any reason, the user
won't be allowed to create any file under the mount point and you'll
know becaus he WILL complain....
Hope this helps.

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as
a nail.