[linux-lvm] How do I use free PE?

Rod Rook rod.rook at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:50:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Rod Rook <rod.rook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using Gnome parted, but I
> wanted to check to see if it can be used with LVM2 partitions.
>
> I am happy to report that I've successfully reduced the physical volume of
VolGroup00 by 160GB, which I don't think I will ever use with the volume
group. I left about 10GB for use by a snapshot volume. Since nobody had told
me that using gparted application is safe for what I was trying to do, I did
some more reading on the subject in other forums and made a backup of the
volume group before I plunged into this risky undertaking.

I used a System Rescue CD (version 1.3.1) to do the job. It comes with
gparted and LVM manager.
So, I can dare to say that one can reduce the physical volume of a volume
group provided there is a significant unused part exists.