[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Lou Arnold larnolda1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:03:24 UTC 2009

I read the How-To. It doesn't talk about the specific case or being mounted
at root, so I had to experiment. It is likely that commands were in the
wrong order, but I don't know what the right order is.

I have attached the terminal session I used. In the end it did not work.
There was still 66 GB free, and when I rebooted, the file system failed. The
superblock was too big.

I obviously don't understand the difference between pvresize, lvreduce and
vgreduce, and how  resize2fs  is related to these commands.

Hope you can help,
Lou.