Re: [linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 05:06:42PM -0700, Brian McCullough wrote:
I'm surprised that you haven't yet been told that one of the first rules of LVM is "don't use it for root!"  Actually, I don't really hold with that, but it is MUCH more important to plan what you are doing when you do have an LVM root partition.  As you have found, you can not manipulate an LVM partition while it is mounted. ( I know, there are ways for certain types of filesystems, but in general, the rule holds. )  That is especially true when the partition that you want to manipulate is root ( / ).
There is no such rule.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.