[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Sun Oct 25 08:46:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 07:04:49PM +0200, brem belguebli wrote:
>It's non sense arguing that LVM is not intended for root due to the
>fact that you cannot shrink it  (growing online is operational and
>works fine).
>
>This is the only thing that is not allowed, though technically could
>it be possible.

Online shrinking is more difficult to achieve than online growing, and
is much less frequently needed, it usually happens due to bad planning.
I know some filesystem on different oses (namely vxfs) and btrfs on linux
allow online shrinking, ext3/4 and xfs don't.

The argument i find very difficult to grasp is what's so critical about
root filesystem versus other filesystems
If your server is (i.e.) a database server you will feel the filesystem
holding the database data is as critical as the root filesystem, if you
need to unmount that you might as well reboot. And the probability of
having to touch the data filesystem is much higher than that of having
to touch root.

Also the argument that the server is in a colo miles away is nonsense,
if it is a critical system it should have some means of oob management,
most server vendors offer those as standard components.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
         Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
  /"\