[linux-lvm] Quick Question RE Snapshots

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I didn't see it in the
archive: Is a near 90% drop in write performance "normal" snapshot
behavior? If so, :(

If not, are there any good resources I should be looking at? Every
search I perform comes up with one of two types of articles on the matter:

1) Snapshots are  awesome! They let you...(list of really nifty things)

2) Snapshots suck! My system is completely useless while they're active!

--
Ryan Anderson
(901) 843 9300