[linux-lvm] Removing a very old physical drive - revisited

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 29 19:04:26 UTC 2009

Nicholas Robinson [npr at bottlehall.co.uk] wrote:
> The pvmove worked, I've moved the boot to the new disc, so my old disc
> is now effectively redundant. The problem is that, as I suspected, I
> can't pvmove off my usb drive!
>
> I spotted these messages in /var/log/messages
>
> Oct 29 03:44:06 oak kernel: device-mapper: table: device 8:2 too small
> for target
> Oct 29 03:44:06 oak kernel: device-mapper: table: 253:0: linear:
> dm-linear: Device lookup failed
> Oct 29 03:44:06 oak kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to
> table

device 8:2 is /dev/sda2. Some one is trying to use /dev/sda2 with
incorrect values (start sector or length). This looks odd and this
happens only when you try 'pvmove' on the USB disk. What does the
pvdisplay on /dev/sda2 report its size (PV Size and is that accurate).
It maybe incorrect....

Thanks, Malahal.