[linux-lvm] Disk crash on LVM

Peter Keller pkeller at globalphasing.com
Mon Sep 21 11:27:14 UTC 2009

Coming a bit late to this thread...

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Fredrik Skog wrote:

> Thanks guys for your input on the matter.
> I lenghtened the power cables and bought a full lenght SATA cable. Now the
> disk is in the freezer and in progress with pvmove. 10% now. so far so good.
> The reason i decided for the pvmove instead of dd or dd_rescue was the fact
> that i tried a pvmove before, so the process was already started but it
> stopped working on 1%. Now with a frozen and working disk it continued from
> where it left off.

I have found that with sequential reads like this, adjusting the readahead
of the device with something like 'blockdev --setra nnn' can dramatically
shorten the time needed to read the whole device.

The default usually seems to be too low when reading sequentially. If you
haven't already adjusted it, try adjusting it upwards. Values like 8192 or
16384 may help.

Good luck,
Peter.