[linux-lvm] help to recovering my home volume

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 15:45:47 UTC 2010

On 4/5/2010 10:45 AM, KiKouN wrote:
> I think that size_of_home_part1 is 11008*8192 but I want to know how to
> calculate start_sector_of_home_LV. How to calculate this value ?

It looks like your home lv is split into two segments, one that is 3 GB
long and at the start of the pv, and another segment that is 43 GB long
and elsewhere on the disk.  Did you create the home lv first only 3 GB
in size, then extend it later?

The second segment starts at extent 0, which is at sector 384, and is
768 4 MB segments long, or 768 x 4096 x 2 = 6291456 sectors.  The first
segment starts at extent 5376, which is at sector 5376 x 4096 x 2 + 384
= 44040576 and is 11008 extents or 90177536 sectors long.

These are all relative to the physical volume, which looks like it was
in /dev/sda7.  If you overwrite the partition table then you will need
to figure out where that partition started.

> In the lvm backup file, I don't know what is the value "pe_start" in pv0
> section. What is this value ?

pe_start is the sector where the first physical extent is.