Re: [linux-lvm] Problems resizing physical volume

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:12:31PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> > Grub2.
>
> Dangerous code which can mis-process configurations it does not recognise.
> I advise people not to use it unless they've tested their specific metadata
> gets processed by it correctly.

AIX had a clever way of integrating their LVM with boot.  There was a specially
marked boot LV that was required to have exactly one extent, and was not
allowed to move (without updating the boot code).  The "boot" flag
caused the userspace tools to prevent operations that might leave the
system unbootable.

This reduces LVM to the equivalent of a partition as far as the
boot code is concerned.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>