[linux-lvm] volume developing problems even though should be static...

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Wed Apr 21 05:45:48 UTC 2010

I needed extra space on my home partition, and speed, so I disabled my
 snapshoting cron job and deleted any logical jobs for now.

But during this transition time, I've started getting some were symptoms.
Now when I do a "pvs", I see:

# pvs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sdb1  Home lvm2 a-   888.48G      0
  /dev/sdb2  Home lvm2 a-   888.48G 640.96G
  /dev/sdb3  Home lvm2 a-   584.87G 584.87G
# vgs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree
  Home   3   7   6 wz--n- 2.31T 1.20T
# lvs
  /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  lvol0               Home -wi-ao  1.00T

So, the "output of the commands looks mostly 'right', as near as I can tell: 3 physical volumes,
-> 1 volume group with the 3 volumes, and
1 logical volume taking up space in that pv (only using part of the space).

What I don't get and what worries me a fair amount are the I/O errors --
any idea what's going on and how I shoudl fix this?

Thanks much!
linda