[linux-lvm] Migrating LVM

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Wed Apr 21 14:18:08 UTC 2010

    pvmove is good for when you have to keep the machine
live during the copy.  dd is about 10 times as fast if you
can be down during the copy.  This specific dd invocation
is the fastest I've found for the purpose, running 2-3 times
faster than a simple dd without arguments:

dd if=/dev/old_vg/$1 bs=64M iflag=direct | dd of=/dev/new_vg/$1 bs=64M
oflag=direct
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com