Re: [linux-lvm] Losing one of various PVs in VG

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Spelic wrote:

> Now I'm wondering what happens if we lose an array: all data on all arrays
> will be lost because the VG is lost?

No.

If you use LVM level raid0 (striping) on a particular LV, then losing any
component of the stripe will lose the LV (but not the VG).

If you use LVM level raid1 (mirroring) on a particular LV, then losing
any component of the mirror does not lose the LV (or the VG).

For linear LVs (extents on minimum number of PVs), losing a PV used by
the LV will lose the LV, but not the VG.

You do not gain anything by assigning a separate VG to each array -
unless you want to be able to easily remove the array.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>