[linux-lvm] Snapshot rollback

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Wed Feb 24 22:46:09 UTC 2010

On 09/23/2009 03:40 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 03:04:22PM -0600, Eric Brunson wrote:
>
>> I remember seeing somewhere discussion of adding the ability to roll
>> back to a snapshot.  I think of how cool this would be about ever six
>> months, usually coinciding with an impending Fedora release.  ;-)
>>
> The developers are just starting to submit their patch sequence to the
> development mailing lists (dm-devel and lvm-devel) for review.  So
> that's targetting linux-next in the next few weeks ready for the 2.6.33
> kernel.

 From the newly released 2.6.33 kernel changelog, does this mean what I
think it means?

    commit 53365383c4667aba55385cd1858582c19a7a8a36
    Merge: 51b736b d2fdb77
    Author: Linus Torvalds<torvalds at linux-foundation.org>
    Date:   Tue Dec 15 09:12:01 2009 -0800

         Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm

         * git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm: (80 commits)
           dm snapshot: use merge origin if snapshot invalid
           dm snapshot: report merge failure in status
           dm snapshot: merge consecutive chunks together
           dm snapshot: trigger exceptions in remaining snapshots during merge
           dm snapshot: delay merging a chunk until writes to it complete
           dm snapshot: queue writes to chunks being merged
           dm snapshot: add merging
           dm snapshot: permit only one merge at once
           dm snapshot: support barriers in snapshot merge target
           dm snapshot: avoid allocating exceptions in merge
           dm snapshot: rework writing to origin
           dm snapshot: add merge target
           dm exception store: add merge specific methods
           dm snapshot: create function for chunk_is_tracked wait
           dm snapshot: make bio optional in __origin_write

If it does, then I'm very excited.  :-)

e.