[linux-lvm] How To Clone and Resize Luks-Encrypted Fedora System

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 19 04:32:45 UTC 2010

I am looking for a way to clone and resize a Fedora 12 x86_64 system to
a new hard drive which provides a lot more capacity. The system I wish
to clone is encrypted with luks. I basically need to move the whole
system to a larger drive, then resize the partitions larger. These are
ext4 partitions. Here is what my grub.conf kernel line says:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64 ro
root=/dev/mapper/vg_deafeng298-lv_root_deafeng298  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us

Is there a procedure available for doing this?

What if I just cloned the existing drive to the new drive using RIPLinux
and ddrescue, then attempted to resize the clone's partitions? I'm fuzzy
about how to do this. Or perhaps use a Fedora Live DVD and ddrescue?

Thanks!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA